Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shearing time at the nieghbors

    Late evening before yesterday I got a call from the neighbors needing help shearing yesterday, they were lookin for two, but Son had to go to school and take care of work that was time sensitive, so Gus and I headed up North about 7:30 in six inches of wet Spring Snow. 1000 head in the sheds ,dry (they need to be dry when they are sheared).
    I haven't helped much with sheep over the years but remembered helpin a few folks 15 and 30 years ago. they work alot different than cattle, for sure. Freinds John and Eric helped get me lined out pushin sheep up to the shearers and, cuttin out lambs and blackfaces (lower quality wool)  through a side gate. Their Dad was ahead of me and helped all day (he's 89!). Also helping me get it right was one of their Peruvian herders (thanks Omar). I don't think I embarssed myself too bad, and maybe was a little help after all.
    Was a cold grey day with heavy fog in the forenoon, not really ususal weather here, but not unheard of. If you follow the 90 day fog rain forecast we should be lookin for a good rain in late June which would be perfect timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment