Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Asian Style lanterns

I've been working on some lanterns for a freind of mines' farm. He is a landscape architect and we work together on projects from time to time. He designed the play area with the Hobbit Doors I made the hardware for and posted on Facebook last Fall. His son wanted to slump the glass for the windows in the door which were meant to simulate the moon, and it just so happened  I have a neighbor who is a glass artist and specializes in hot slumping glass. So everyone came up for supper and to slump the glass. My freinds 15 year old son was in 7th Heaven working with the glass artist and sucessfully slumped the glass for use in the Hobbit Doors. My architect freinds' mother is Japenese, and his father is White. While they were looking at a lantern I built for an end table in our house, the Dad said " I really Like that lantern it reminds me of an Asian Design, but at the same time it looks very Montana Rustic." His son replied " So Dad, it's kind of like us."
We had a good chuckle over that! We love having kids around, their fresh view of the World is refreshing.

Any way I started forging the lanterns yesterday. They are very heavy and textured by the forging process, I will post some photos when they are finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment