Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Apologies for not keeping up

    It has been a while since I updated my blog, apologies to anyone who has been wondering what the heck I've been up to. I got busy in the shop the last few weeks making historic reproductions of everything from Revolutionary war folding skillets, to forging replica axes for reenactors from the 1750-1850 period. To be completely honest I lost my temper with the technology last time I tried to upload photos of some of this work I'd been doing and said the heck with it. I am from the generation that is emmigrants to this computer age, not a native, so when they change some electronic button and the process that worked yesterday doesn't today I get as mad as a Bobcat killin a porcupine! It reminds me of the old cowboy who sent his dad down to get the model A out of the shed, a half hour later the old man walked by on his way to the house, when asked what he did with the truck he responded " You'd better go down there, when I left it was still tryin' to get out of the shed!" So now you got some idea how old timers feel about runnin this new fangled technolgy!
   Tonite we're having a Whitetail rolled rib roast I like to brine 'em to make em tender, try this out
3 Tablespoons Kosher or pickling salt
3 tablespoons brown sugaar
1 sliced onion
1 cup red wine
Dissolve the above ingredients in 2 cups boiling water, add enough cold water to cover the roast and submerge it in the brine for 2-4 hours,in the fridge. The process of osmosis (remember what your teachers used to ask you?) draws the salty liquor and the flavors of the wine, sugar and onion into the non salty meat, adding flavor, moisture and tenderizing it.

You can grill the roast indirectly (with the heat next to it not directly over it) for an hour hour and a half, or you can drop it in a roasting pan with an inch of water and roast it in the oven for 11/2 to 2 hours at 350 degrees.

When my technology expert gets home  I will impose on him to get me straight on the picture uploads and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment