Thursday, March 10, 2011

Work continues on the Asian Montana Rustic Lanterns / Deer Meat Pie

We are enjoying haveing a house guest for a few nights, he is a wildlife biologist hired for an 8 month stint studying Sage Grouse in our county, mostly North of here in my trapping territory. He is here looking for a suitable rental for he and his wife, also a wildlife biologist. He enjoyed my whitetail stew last night. Tonite the leftovers get put into my wife's specialty : Meat Pie.

My recipes are supposed to be fast and delicious. I literally don't have the time or the inclination to spend alot of time seeking out exotic ingredients and prepareing supper, you probably don't either. I think it is important to honor the animals whose lives we take for our sustenance by preparing the meat in a delicious recipe .Most of my recipes take 1/2 hour of active prep time, a few take a  little longer. Using leftover stew, I can put a pie in the oven in about 1/2 hour, not bad for a blacksmith!

Prepare a pie crust
2 cups flour (I like to use 1 cup white and 1 cup of whole  wheat)
1 Teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of Bear Lard if you have it or Crisco if you don't
1/4 cup Water
    Mix the dry ingredients
    Add the Crisco by cutting it into the dry mix with a fork, the more thourough the lard is cut into the dry mix the flakier the crust will be.
    Add the water a little at a time, sometimes you need a little more sometimes a little less ( evidently this has something to do with the weather, humidity, and Moon Phase but I have to admit only my wife seems to know what, trust me if I can make it work you can too. Keep in mind the little woman at your place will be so impressed with your efforts she'll be waiting at the door next hunting season with your rifle so you can bring home some more delicious meat, who knows maybe she'll even start hunting with you!)
    Don't over mix the dough,as soon as you can form it into a ball, take about 1/2  of it and roll it out between two sheets of wax paper , remove the top sheet of wax paper , and invert it over the pie plate, then remove the second sheet of wax paper.
    Fill the lower crust with the leftover stew from last night, mixed with cream of mushroom soup.
    Roll out the top crust and lay it over the whole shebang.
    Seal the edges, my wife uses her fingers and a fork, I prefer the front site of my six shooter, so I guess we all use whats handiest.
    Slit the crust to allow steam to escape.
    Pop it into a 400 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour.
    We like it with sour cream and Mexican hot sauce (Cholula is my favorite and it's own food group).

  

No comments:

Post a Comment