Friday, March 11, 2011

Oldest Brand in Montana sucessfully registered!

The first brand recognized by the Territorial Legislature in 1864 was the number 84.That was 25 years before Montana voted to enter the Union! It was authorized to be used by Thomas D. Pitt, an early pioneer who served as a Vigilante, made several arrests and presided over at least one hanging. The brand was not registered for some time when a good freind revived the brand and had it registered as a cattle brand, by a reluctant brand registrar, who got into the historic background of the brand and relented allowing it to be re-registered for use on cattle. My freind offered it to me, needless to say I was thrilled to get it, and I appreciate the gift knowing full well that she could have advertised it for sale and gotten some dollars for it. She'll probably read this so let me say "THANKS" once again!

A couple days ago I got a call from a lady in Broadus Montana, she told me she had my brand registration, and that Helena had sent it folded up with her brand ( Open 8) by mistake. Rather than send it back to Helena, she thought she would just drop it in the mail to me. We chatted some time about her operation, it turns out I drove through her place several times last summer, and recalled seeing her sheep. She told me their country is full of Coyotes but they haven't lost a lamb since they brought in Burros to guard the sheep. Some people don't know it but Burros will stomp a canine to death, and they don't differentiate between Coyotes and pet dogs. They have also spotted some wolf tracks on their range, but haven't lost any Stock yet to them. Anyway the brand registration arrived yesterday.

I am working on gettting the brand registered for horses now and meeting some resistance from the Brand Office, but they have been very helpful and picked up the spirit of reviving the brand to its full historic role so I am hopefull we will eventually get it back for use as a horse brand too!

1 comment: