Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Montana Rustic Asian Lanterns Completed / Mediterranean Deer Kabobs

I hope you like the looks of this Latern. These lites are MASSIVE!  Standing about 27 inches tall, they weigh about 20 pounds each! They are forged from heavy iron with lots of forged grooves and heavy hammer texture that accentuate the plasticity if hot iron, and are not evident in the photos. The rectangular iron backplate will mount on the old barnwood siding of the new Barn. Below the oiled old barn wood is rusted corrugated iron roofing that protects the building from snow and rain splashing up from the ground, the iron extends up approximately three feet. This photo is taken in my entry way, about the only place I have to prop them up with a minmum of background interference.

We were fortunate enough to have a Sage Grouse Biologist staying with us for the better part of a  week while he looked for suitable housing for he and his wife.They are moving to Montana to trap and radio collar Sage Hens for the purpose of studying them so as to help stabilize thier numbers which are declining throughout the West. I treated him to one of my families' favorite use of ground Deer Meat.

MEDITERRANEAN KABOBS
1 1/2 pounds ground Deer, Elk, or Antelope
1 Teaspoon ground ginger
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 Teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
1 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
2 or 3 ground Jalapeno Peppers
Mix all ingredients thouroughly by hand, you can form these into patties and grill them on a hot grill til done, but the best way is to wet your hand and form them onto flat skewers and then suspend them over the grates of the grill and grill til done. I forged my skewers from 1/8 inch by 3/4 inch iron, the flat iron skewers allow the ground kabobs to stay in place, they taste similar to Greek Gyros, and are a favorite with everyone who tries them at my place, including the people who tell me "I don't eat game." They always come back for seconds. This is another 1/2 hour prep time, followed by 15 minutes on the grill. We serve them with rice from a rice cooker( which even a blacksmith can operate) and Ainslie Barbecue Sauce and Teriyaki Sauce on the side. Serving them on the skewers also lends an exotic air, and fools your guests into thinking you slaved over it all day! All these quick recipes are designed to allow you more time to hunt, keep in mind wild Turkey and Black Bear Season are almost upon us.

2 comments:

  1. Hi George
    Could you tell me why there is a Sage Grouse hunting season? I've always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I have been quite enjoying your blog, particularly the recipes as I do love food. It is great to read a bit from home - I miss Montana so much!

    ReplyDelete