Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 8 2011 Update and a new recipe

For those of you who haven't heard, I have been writing a cookbook for a couple years now, and if I only had some computer skills it would probably be done by now. When my wife went back to work full time I found out PDQ that if I didn't want a frozen pizza for supper I had better learn to cook meals that she would eat. I have always been a decent backwoods bull cook but cooking for Does is more of a challenge!

I have hunted for my families' meat for almost 30 years now and I love the hunting and we all treasure the meat, my kids would have starved to death when I started my business if it hadn't been for Deer Elk and Antelope! We always process our own meat and are very careful to kill choice animals with carefull shots to be humane, and protect the quality of the meat. We like knowing we are helping the wild herds we love thrive and stay healthy.

Visitors often say "I can't believe this is wild game, you must've learned to cook it some special way."
Actualy I don't think I do anything to wild meat that I wouldn't do with domestic meat , but its been so long since we had much of it that I can't say for sure.

My cook book includes the favorite recipes of my family and freinds. The subtitle should read: "wild game recipes tasty enough for women;easy enough for men." I'm hoping the self-deprecating aspect will allay any sexist/chauvanist complaints!

Try this one out :

Take one frozen Elk, Deer, Antelope, or Bear Roast I like neck, shoulder blade or arm roasts
place it in a crockpot in 3/4 inch of water, with
1/2 cup red wine
a splash of soy sauce
splash of Liquid Smoke
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can Beef Consumme' soup
allow to simmer on low all day
At about 2:30 PM cut up 4 medium spuds to bite sized pieces, along with four medium carrots, and  1 small onion. Fish out the shoulder blade or arm bone and add the vegetables,turn it up to high for two hours . thicken the broth with two tablespoons corn starch dissolved in cold water, add the corn starch slowly, it will thicken the stew when it boils.

I always make enough to have about a pie shells' worth of leftovers and the following day bake it in a home made pie crust, watch of that recipe one of these days!

1 comment: