Saturday, January 25, 2014

Morning chores-4 legged friends

I thought sleeping in on a quiet, dark Saturday morning sounded like a good idea, but my two, four legged friends thought different.The clanging of the cow bell on our back door has brought me instantly awake. George trained our dogs to ring a bell mounted near the back door when they want to go outside. They have rousted me at 5:45am, made their first trip out side to do the business they do first thing in the morning. Then they let me know that breakfast was next on the schedule. Gus ( 15 year old Weimaraner) when finished with his meal proceeds to the kitchen and standing in front of a certain cupboard  does his low howling bay that reminds me he is ready for his 3 morning pills lathered in butter. Out side one more time to do important business and chase a neighborhood cat that visits early each morning. It is now 6:15 and both dogs are  sound asleep on the couch close to the warm crackling wood stove. I would love to go back to bed but sleep would not come after this early chore detail. I would tease George that I did not really like dogs. I do not know many people who loved dogs more than George. He would say that dogs are always glad to see you, always want to do what you want to do and have this unconditional love for their master. But George was very good with dogs. He had a calmness and patients that animals picked up on right out of the shoot, and he felt that animals deserved all the patients a person could muster. I miss seeing George taking his afternoon naps on the floor with the dogs. I think Gus and Rascal do too.  This picture brought tears to my eyes and a feeling of overwhelming love as I know what a special time this was for all involved. Memories are truly one of the greatest treasures we have.    Have a special Saturday....Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. Life doesn't get any better than that picture does it? That one moment, catching George at his best.

    ReplyDelete