Thursday, April 7, 2011

Feeding for the neighbors

My neighbors had to be absent from the ranch for a few days, and even when they are home they have been short a damn good man this Winter, so I offered to help their hired man doing any chores they needed done in their abscence. So this morning I spent about three hours feeding cow / calf pairs from one end of the ranch to the other. With Gus (my Weimaraner Dog) as co pilot we went down and fed my horses and my freind's horses,and then took off up Big Coulee Crick to load round bales, then proceeded South below the Rims I trap for Bobcats, to Painted Robe Crick where I fed a bale to cows and calves there. The we went East of the State highway and fed another bale to the Bulls in the Bull pasture. Back across the highway to pick up two more bales to bring home to the ranch Headquarters.

Next I drove up to the Woman's Pocket, and fed a couple bales to the cows with bull calves pastured there. This ranch sends cows with bull calves North into the Pocket, and cows with Heifer calves South of some of the Rimrocks I trap. This way when we start branding we don't have to sort through heifer calves when we are castrating bull calves.

It occured to me that I fed almost as much hay today usig a pick up truck and bale handler in three hours as I did feeding 6 Horses, 2 Burros, 4 Goats and a Llama all damn Winter with a pitchfork!

No comments:

Post a Comment