Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Too busy to blog

I want to thank everyone who has read my blog...I have been told by a number of folks that I didn't know were reading it that they enjoyed it, so I will be writing more often and including more photos of what is going on. Also look forward to more recipes as  we get into Fall and things slow down a little. My son has agreed to help me negotiate the maze of the internet, so I hope to be less frustrated by the ever-changing buttons etcetera!

I just completed a coatrack for a freind I've had for over twenty years but haven't ever met. He's been a great client for all that time and we talk on the phone about things freinds talk about but haven't ever shook his hand, here's hopin' that will change before too long!

Anyway the coatrack is about 4 feet long with swinging hooks (they swing side to side as required) made to hold a Western Hat and coat on each double hook. The hooks are forged from 1/2 inch round steel in a forging die I made in the shop. The little ball on the end is forged in the die which  I also make using technology that is thousands of years old and allows a blacksmith to reproduce complex forgings easily...once the die is made. The rest of the work is hammer textured while hot and finished with the traditional hand rubbed black that is so popular and traditional. A coat of high quality paste wax over the iron will protect interior work from rust for about a year.

Photos of this coatrack temporarily installed on my shop back door will follow, with technical help from my last remaining teenager!

No comments:

Post a Comment